The Red Zone For Feb 14

Kills Deaths Primary Mode Level KD Spread TKD
21
9
m27-AS-SP
domination
cargo
2.33
12
2.33
31
18
m27-AS-SP
domination
hijacked
1.72
13
1.93
16
18
m27-AS-SP
domination
hijacked
0.89
-2
1.51
12
12
m27-AS-SP
domination
carrier
1.00
0
1.40
22
12
m27-AS-SP
domination
carrier
1.83
10
1.48
33
5
m27-AS-SP
domination
standoff
6.60
28
1.82

I want to introduce you to the “Red Zone” today.

While killing is all well and good, the way that most average players can immediately increase their KD ratio in Black Ops 2 or any FPS game is to reduce their deaths.  Being aware of the Red Zone will help you do that.

Your field of vision is only about 65º*. A real key to keeping your kills low is spending as much time (if not more) of your gameplay thinking about the other 295º not on your screen as you do thinking about what is in front of you. Some people call it finding cover, but that only accounts for when you are looking at people.  Check out the picture below and I’ll explain more below.

The Red Zone Illustrated: 

Think of it this way, you can see 65º or about 18% of your body’s exposure to the enemy.  That leaves 82% of your body exposed in directions you can’t see–the Red Zone.  To be a better player in Black Ops 2 (or any FPS for that matter) you need to be aware of where your Red Zone is, and who might be in it. So from here on out you should think about where your back and sides are exposed.

How do you address the Red Zone?

  1. Imagine there actually is a red-shading following you through the map as it does in the above picture. Always be aware of your own personal Red Zone.
  2. Knowing the map, think about an area’s Red Zone before you move into it. Reading a few posts back, I mentioned “finding cover” before taking a Domination capture point. Think about the Red Zone when you move to any objective in Black Ops 2.
  3. When you are moving into a position or space that is in your field of vision (or Green Zone) and as you move around the map, think about how that area will look when you turn your back on it.
  4. Finally, cover your Red Zone. As you can see in the picture above, you can limit your Red Zone by positioning cover behind and to the sides of yourself.  While all Red Zone is hazardous, you can reduce the % of your Red Zone by where you position yourself on the map relative to cover and line of sight (LOS).

If you want to rapidly increase your KD ratio, you need to think about the Red Zone.

KD Ratio Over Maps and Game.
You can see the average KD for the session change with each individual KD.

I realized the principle of the red zone during the first carrier game (see screenshot).

See you tomorrow. Keep working on your skills… I will be.

*PS- 65º field of view/ field of vision (FOV) for Black Ops 2 is for consoles. I am not sure what the PC version’s view is–and that impacts the math. The concept ist still a good one to keep in mind.

Posted in Skills, Tactics & Strategy Tagged with: , , ,